My Upcoming Events:
- TBA Poems of the Moment (online) — Prairie Public Radio
- Dec 6 Great American Folk Show, Cameo Guest – Prairie Public Radio
- Mar 18 2021 San Miguel de Allende Poetry Cafe — Invited Reading
- TBA – Public Reading — Bismarck Art & Galleries Assoc. (Postponed due to CV-19 — watch for new date)
- Nov 8 The Poets Corner, Invited Alumni Reading, Rockport College/Maine Media www.thepoetscorner.org/events
- Sep 6 Cameo reading on Prairie Public Radio’s Great American Folk Show. Previously recorded- now online and archived. https://news.prairiepublic.org/post/great-american-folk-show-episode-5
- Mar 3 & 10 University of Mary — Invited Workshops: No Fear Poetry Part 1 & 2
- Jan 28 Her Flag 100th Anniversary of the 19th Amendment to U.S. Constitution / Womens’ Suffrage — Bismarck Art & Galleries Assoc.
- Dec 2 University of Mary Creative Writing Club — Bismarck ND
- Dec 1 Local Author Expo — Ferguson Books, Bismarck ND
- Nov 2-3 North Dakota Book Festival — Ellendale (ND) Opera House
- Workshop– No Fear Poetry: How to Enjoy It & Maybe Even Write a Little
- Invited Reading
- Sep 26 ND Country Woman Awards — Heritage Center/Museum, Bismarck ND
- Sep 21 Invited Reading, Assumption Abbey — Richardton ND
- Sep 10 Public Reading — Ferguson Books, Bismarck ND
- Aug 20 Off the Shelf Book Club — Bismarck ND
(Footnote: I welcome invitations to book clubs and writer’s groups.)
From the time we studied word origins in school, I’ve been fascinated with puzzling words together and the fusion of words on the printed page—their mouth-feel, their musicality, and the magic that can be created within the frame of white space. Poetry seems the perfect art form to bring it all together.
Growing up in western North Dakota, I feel deeply connected to our history, the poignant subtleties and often harsh life on the high plains and short grass prairies. Those ties to peoples, landscape, and the realities of our changing cultures and economies that make up the “New American West” creep inexorably into my writing.
Most poets hope their work carries a universal thread of humanity to readers. My goal is to speak to that shared core within others who may or may not call this place home and to show this region as much more than fly-over country. This is the heart of a continent.
My first chapbook, Destiny Manifested, was awarded the 2018 “Poetry of the Plains and Prairies Prize” by North Dakota State University (NDSU) Press and the “2019 Independent Press Award: Distinguished Favorite.” It’s now available from Amazon and the online store: NDSU Press/Shop Now You can also find it on Goodreads. My second book, a full collection is forthcoming from NDSU Press in the fall 2021,
You can reach me dakota923 at hotmail dot com
Most of all, I love living on the edge of the Badlands.
Here, life is sweet and the sweet crude of oil production
is both sweet and crude. More on that in my chapbook.